Study rooms in all locations
Issues on Saturdays with lack of keys… If I lock the doors in the 24-hr area, I then have to leave the desk to unlock it, but the desk is within sight almost the whole time… If the others need un/locking, I’m away for much longer and could be inconveniencing another patron who doesn’t care that I’m helping someone else, I’m not where they need me…
I have an idea that could reduce the amount of time that the Circ Desk is abandoned and prevent squatting (and thus, potential fights when the rooms are all in use)… We should see about removing the locks from the doors and make the rooms completely open… It will prevent groups from locking their stuff in, but it will accomplish the goal of keeping the rooms available for those who actually need them and are ready to use them… Of course, the most obvious solution would be to check out keys- but that’s just crazy talk! snk

4 Comments:
I'd like to change the locks so that they are similar to what the Bib Lab has. Currenlty, the study room doors have the little rocker-button that let's people lock the room (thus, hogging it while they go take a dinner break).
If we remove the rocker-button, they can't lock the door, but we still have that option if we ever need to lock the rooms for some reason.
Dorothy
3:15 PM
I like Dorothy's suggestion. Also, maybe we could add to the sign on the door that if you have to leave the room, you should take your stuff with you.
9:22 AM
I too agree with Dorothy - that way we can lock the room if we need to.
9:36 AM
At the librarians meeting on 2/20/07 we decided to implement this. I have asked Janet to contact facilities and "make it so." Thanks for the suggestion.
10:32 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home