This is a place where the personnel of the Olin Library at Rollins College can propose changes to policies and procedures, comment on other proposals, and generally question why we do things the way we do. It is only open to personnel of the Olin Library.

Monday, March 19, 2007

ILL of New Books

I think we have talked in the past about not lending titles that have been purchased in the last 6 months (or so) via ILL. What does everyone think?
I am asking because Tech Services was looking for the "Give 'em the Pickle" book (purchased in Dec. 2006) and found that it has gone out on ILL. I think last semester we also had a new professor looking for a book that he had ordered and the same thing had happened.
Thank you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

I have considered excluding certain groups like current year, new book shelf, and proshelf books... I constantly evaluate my policies and recently decided against the policy change because (A)lending demand has not been as overwhelming this semester as in the past, and (B)more and more libraries will not loan recent publications... We only loan for 4 wks use and don't allow renewals... I operate on the assumption that we encourage our patrons to place holds... I want our people to have their stuff, don't get me wrong, but aren't the books here to be used?

If the concern is not "2007 books," but rather "recently ordered materials," then we should devise some way of noting its non-circ status. I often send my students to the catalog to search materials. 2007 is obvious- order date is not... Could we place special orders on hold or give them a special location, so that profs can be assured of receiving their materials? This would prevent other patrons from borrowing them, too...

Since the need is so great, I'll begin refusing requests for current year at the beginning of the summer semester... As for order-specific exclusions, let's work out a system that does not involve me looking up the creation date of every single request :)

2:29 PM

 
Blogger Rollins College Archives said...

I think declining to lend recent publications is a good idea. I guess we would just need to decide on a time parameter.
As for looking up the creation date of each request: There might be an easier way to establish a purchase date. I don't know how we pull up a record for an ILL request, but if you could show me, I might be able to find an easier way to determine when a title was purchased.
Thank you!

9:23 AM

 
Blogger Rollins College Archives said...

To follow up: Shawne and I looked at Sirsi together and found that the purchase order date can easily be viewed using the "Display Item" command. So if we decide not to lend titles that have been recently purchased, the order date would be simple for Shawne to check.

1:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home